At Broad Yorkshire Law we understand that every family is different and not all children live with both of their parents. It can be difficult when parents separate to make decisions about who the child should live with and how much time the child should spend with the other parent. Often parents cannot agree. If you are in that situation then Broad Yorkshire Law can help.

Family Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting

Before an application can be made to the court you will, usually, have to attend a family mediation information and assessment meeting (MIAM). A MIAM is a short meeting that provides information about mediation as a way of resolving disputes. A MIAM is conducted by a trained mediator who will assess whether mediation is appropriate in the circumstances. The only situations where you would not have to attend a MIAM are when there is evidence of domestic violence, the child is being monitored by the local authority and/or the application is urgent because of a significant risk to yourself or the child.

Child Arrangements Order

If mediation cannot help resolve the arrangements for your child then we can assist you in making an application to the court for a child arrangements order. A child arrangements order is an order regulating arrangements relating to with whom and when a child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact with any person.

When considering an application for a child arrangements order the court presumes, unless the contrary is shown, that involvement of the applicant parent in the life of the child concerned will further the child’s welfare.

For further information and advice please contact Broad Yorkshire Law on 0114 327 7359.

Enforcement of a Contact Order/Child Arrangements Order

If you have previously been granted a contact order/child arrangements order and your ex-partner is failing to comply with the order then Broad Yorkshire Law can help. We can make an application on your behalf for the court to enforce the order. If the court agrees that your ex-partner has breached the order without a reasonable excuse then the court has a range of powers it can use including:

  • varying the contact order/child arrangement order;
  • ordering that your ex-partner compensate you for any financial loss caused by his/her failure to comply with the order;
  • ordering that your ex-partner do unpaid work; and
  • committing your ex-partner to prison.