If you have a question which is not answered below or you simply want more information about how Broad Yorkshire Law can help you, then please contact our friendly team on 0114 327 7359 who will be happy to provide a free initial consultation.


I want to divorce my partner. What do I need to do?

You can get a divorce if you have been married at least a year and your relationship has permanently broken down. You must have a marriage that is legally recognised in the UK, and have a permanent home in England or Wales. There are 3 main steps to getting divorced:

  1. File a divorce petition - you have to apply to the court for permission to divorce, and show reasons why you want the marriage to end.
  2. Apply for a decree nisi - if your partner agrees to the petition, you’ll get a document saying there’s no reason you can’t divorce.
  3. Apply for a decree absolute - this legally ends your marriage. You need to wait 6 weeks after you get the decree nisi before you can apply.

Do I need a solicitor?

You may be able to arrange your own divorce without involving solicitors if you agree on:

  • the reasons for a divorce;
  • how you will look after any children; and
  • how you will split up money, property and possessions.

If you are not sure if you need a solicitor then contact Broad Yorkshire Law. We will provide a free initial interview where we will advise on whether you would benefit from legal representation.

How much will a divorce cost?

If you decide to instruct Broad Yorkshire Law then we can deal with your divorce for as little as £500 plus VAT and disbursements. Please contact us on 0114 327 7359 to find out more information.


My partner will not allow me to see my children. What can I do?

You can apply to the court for a child arrangements order. Before the court considers your case you will be required to attend a mediation information assessment meeting (unless your case is urgent or involves domestic abuse). This meeting is to see if your matter can be resolved through mediation rather than by attending court. If you cannot resolve the matter through mediation then the court will consider your case and make an order that it considers is in your child’s best interests.

For further information and a free initial consultation please contact our dedicated team on 0114 327 7359.

What is a Mediation Information Assessment Meeting (MIAM)?

A MIAM is a meeting between you and a mediator to find out if there are alternative ways to find solutions to your problems. The meeting can be between the mediator and just you, or with your ex-partner too. The meeting usually lasts around 45 minutes. In the meeting the mediator will explain to you:

  • what mediation is, and how it works;
  • the benefits of mediation and other appropriate forms of resolving disputes;
  • the likely costs of using mediation; and
  • if you are eligible for free mediation and Legal Aid.

What is a child arrangements order?

A child arrangements order is an order which sets out:

  • with whom a child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact; and
  • when a child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact with any other person.

My ex-partner is not complying with a child arrangements order. What can I do?

If you ex-partner does not comply with a child arrangements order then you can make an application to the court for enforcement. If the court finds that your ex-partner has failed to comply with the child arrangements order and there is no good reason for this failure then the court can may vary the child arrangements order and/or impose a number of sanctions on your ex-partner including making your ex-partner do unpaid work or committing them to prison.

I have a contact order. Can I still enforce it?

Yes. You can enforce a contact order in the same way you would enforce a child arrangements order.

Had a Personal Injury

We deal with a wide variety of accident claims from a slip and trip accident in the supermarket through to industrial disease and medical negligence cases.

Personal Injury Services

Need help with Family Law?

Seperating from your partner is difficult. We will guide you through the process by focusing on you and your needs.

Family Law Services

If you would like to pursue a case with Broad Yorkshire Law please contact us

0114 2420732 or Send us a message